Tuesday, September 28, 2010

inception

It's a very, very common question. What music to you listen to? The seriousness of this question varies from person to person.  When people put this query to me sometimes they want to know about my influences, and other times--as is usually the case--it's just a question.  It helps folks figure out who you are.  Well... I'm not getting into any of that.  This is really just like my little Music Appreciation 101. While running the risk of belying any philosophical claims I've made over beers about relativism and culture in music, and while simultaneously running the risk of sounding like a pompous ass, I'm gonna come out and say it: I think I know what good is.  So there you have it.  What will follow here is my own take on people in music that I think are really really great, with absolutely no attention given to newness or relevance. For the most part I intend to approach each artist as if the reader has never heard of them (even though I know that will often not be the case).  But hey, take a few minutes, a second listen on a random lunch-break can sometimes yield a whole new perspective. At the end of the day this is just me going, "Hey you should experience this". Its just the stuff that I think is both great and important, without worrying too much about the distinction between the two.  And more importantly, it's just one guy's opinion.  What do I know?

1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    My name is Kristen DeTroia from Performer Magazine. We are a national magazine that focuses on DIY and independent artist. we feature new and upcoming bands, cd reviews, live reviews, venue profiles, gear/tech pages and articles on the music industry. It would be great if you could have a link to our website, facebook and twitter on your blog and spread the word about Performer magazine!

    our website is - http://www.performermag.com/

    Twitter - http://twitter.com/PerformerMag

    facebook - http://en-gb.facebook.com/performermagazine

    Thanks so much,

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete