Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Amicus certus in re incerta cernitur


If you want to know the truth, I listen mostly to my friends. Now right away we can ask, "Is this because somehow by knowing these people personally I'm able to connect with some 'extra' meaning in the music they produce?" You know what--I won't try to deny that this element may be present, but I have to maintain that a huge part, probably the main part, of the appeal is that I just happen to know a bunch of really talented folks. So I'm not about to pull my hair out wondering if some "added context" accounts for the allure of the music. I really don't think that's the case; besides, when do we ever completely remove the context from the music we listen to? I'd argue that we can't, and insofar as we really get into a particular artist we often "know" them to some degree. Right?

The upshot is this: After a hiatus, I'm back at it again. But expect a change in format. Expect also, that you will hearing some of the best stuff yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment